Sunday, January 23, 2011

Last Emperor - Do You Remember?




Last Emperor wrote this song entitled Do You Remember? The track was featured on the And 1 Mixtape Vol. 2 soundtrack as well as the "Hidden Treasures" mixtape.

I heard this song when I was still in grade school. I had bought a pair of And 1 basketball shoes and with the shoes they gave me the video mixtape which featured “Do you remember” in one of the portions of the video. I liked the song so much the first time I heard it I stopped the dribbling I was doing while I was watching the mixtape and just sat down and listened to the entire track.

The acoustic guitar goes along perfectly with the whole theme of the song, it really makes you feel like you are traveling back in time to when you were a kid running around with you friends without a care in the world.

The originality and song concept that Last Emperor comes with is refreshing to listen to in a day where most of the mainstream music is watered down and repetitive.

One day I'll travel from the East to the West/
And tap into the hidden strength that all men possess/
I'll always be young, see a young mind is fresh/
And its clear my memories will one day disappear unless/

Last Emperor is still regarded as one of the most underrated MC's. It is a shame that talent like this can go unnoticed by the public. It shows that no matter how talented you are in the music industry only a select few reap extreme financial benefits. But, music isn't all about money and it is clear to hear when listening to the Last Emperor that money was not the only thing on his mind when writing this song

At times, I feel old like I'm going out of style/
So I turn down the music on my FM dial/
I beg of you to come and listen for a while/
And look at this wonderful world through the eyes of a child/

1 comment:

  1. Good post. (I like the video that you included.) Personally, I have a hard time focusing on lyrics AND the instruments; however, if I take the time to really listen to the instruments (especially guitar chords), I get a whole new appreciation for the song.

    ReplyDelete