Sunday, January 30, 2011

SB.TV F64 Freestyle - Devlin



Once again here is something different for you guys tonight. I’m bringing you a very talented UK grime artist by the name of Devlin. In this video he spits 64 bars for the camera.

In my freshmen year of college I stumbled across one of his videos and it really caught my eye and got me interested in the UK grime scene.
Devlin after many years of hard work on pirate radio sets and bookings was signed to Island Records, the same record label Bob Marley was signed to. He has really exploded in terms of popularity in the UK and recently released his debut album Bud Sweat & Beers in the start of 2011.

The fact that I realized this young man’s talent the first time I heard him and now seeing him build on those talents, get better, and final get signed has made me feel connected to the artist in a way. I can’t go overseas and experience the grime scene myself but instead, I got on YouTube regularly to keep tabs on my favorite artists in the scene. The internet has really broadened my horizons in terms of music and more generally life.

Devlin is a conscious artist that out of all the artists I listen to uses the most advanced vocabulary. It is refreshing to see an artist bring intelligence in his work rather than just speaking on the more misogynistic aspects of life.

I catalyzed half of the scene into making songs with their hearts on their sleeves/

Devlin in all of his songs is lyrically focused. It is the reason I admire him as an artist so much. His main focus is making music that he likes which is lyrically complex lyrically. When I listen to one of his songs or freestyles it gives me a mental picture of what his life and the lives of other youths are like over in the UK.

In closing here are a few of his bars that stood out in the freestyle:

A minute and a half/
I burry anybody with my lyrics and my bars/
Rippin’ you in half casue I’m lyrically advanced/
If you look up in the sky well be sittin’ on the stars/

Cause whether you like me is irrelevant/
You can’t deny talent when it’s evident/
I’m off the scales at an inadequate measurement/
Most of these men have a vocal impediment/
My names Devz im a local degenerate/
So I drink and smoke for the hell of it/
Play the beat and I carry on deadin’ it/
This is war there’s 64 from devlin/

1 comment: