Friday, January 21, 2011

Taste of What's to Come

For the first post to this…illustrious blog, I would like to describe its background and what it’s all about. Since I have been listening to music the words, rather than the instrumental have always caught my ear. Whether it was the music of my parents such as The Beatles or Bob Dylan up to the music I myself choose to listen to, the way in which people express themselves through lyrics is fascinating to me.

Hip-Hop is what I listened to growing up and it is still the genre of music I find myself listening to most often. The entire Hip-Hop scene appealed to me from the start. The new way DJ’s, B-Boy’s, Graffiti artists, and Rappers had found to express themselves was something I admired in a deep sense of the word.

I myself was born and raised in Chicago and attend College at a Chicago University. Growing up I was always surrounded by different cultures and the ways in which those different cultures expressed themselves.

Living in the city opened my eyes to a means of self-expression that I would have never been privileged to if I had been raised in a more sheltered environment. Hip-Hop was never kept from me and because of that I was able to fully appreciate the skill of those who managed to use music as a way of telling a story whether it was real or fictional. So THANK YOU, Chicago.

This Blog however is not just based purely Hip-Hop lyrics but rather lyrics from all genres of music that paint vivid pictures, stories, and scenarios in the listeners mind. Word play and the level of intricacy that goes into writing complex lyrics will be displayed, dissected, and analyzed for your listening and reading pleasure ha-ha.

Despite the fact I will be making posts involving many different genres, I have to say I cannot stand country music and most of today’s modern music. But, if you are a fan of those types of music possibly reading my posts will lead you on a path toward enlightenment.

1 comment:

  1. Of course, everyone knows that the best genre of music is metal. (Duh.) Try out this website for some good tunes! http://mapofmetal.com/#/home

    ReplyDelete